This Monday we delve into a Maltese favourite – Imqarrun il-Forn (baked macaroni). This dish is perfect for Winter, but would make a great Summer dish too, especially paired with an ice-cold Cisk! The Maltese way is to cook until crispy, however you can modify this method as you prefer.
- 500g macaroni
- 2 medium onions
- 4 medium carrots
- 800 grams minced beef
- curry powder
- red wine
- tomato paste
- tomato puree
- bay leaves
- 4 eggs
- frozen small peas
- grated cheese
- Heat the oil and fry the onions gently until golden, add the peas, carrots and minced beef and salt and pepper. Stir well and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add a glass of wine and a bay leaf and then the tomato paste and puree. Grate some nutmeg.
- Simmer, covered for about 30 min, then uncovered for another half an hour.
- Boil the macaroni in plenty of salted water until al dente. Do not over cook it otherwise it will lose shape and texture by the end.
- Pour a cup of cold water into the pan as soon as the pasta is cooked. Drain.
- Mix the meat and the tomato into the macaroni, add the eggs and season.
- Mix well together in a large dish. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake at 200C for 30 min.