- olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 400gr arborio rice
- 2 glasses dry white wine
- 1.5 liters/2 pints hot vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 knob butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 120g grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly grated Parmesan, to serve
- Heat stock in a separate pan.
- In a separate deep pan and heat olive oil, add onions and garlic, and fry slowly for about 5 minutes till onions become soft and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the arborio rice and cook for a bit together with the vegetables, add the white wine and allow alcohol to evaporate.
- Slowly add the vegetable stock and stir continually, add the butter and continue stirring, finish off any stock until all is absorbed by the rice.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and continue stirring.
- Season with Salt and Pepper
- Serve with some Parmesan shavings and fresh parsley or fresh basil.