Travelling is a wonderful way for families to bond. In our article ’The Psychology of the Family Holiday’ we explain that families who travel once in a while are more likely to find ways to get along, come up with solutions to all sorts of problems and conflicts, and feel much more love between family members.
For families who love a getaway or two, a travel destination to consider is the island of Malta.
As a “sun and sea” destination, Malta is home to many majestic beaches, each with crystal-clear turquoise-blue waters that seemingly stretch on forever. Some of the island’s best are listed in our post the ‘6 Beaches in Malta You’ll Fall in Love With’. Malta is also home to an array of stunning views, picturesque sceneries, and culturally significant heritage sites.
When Travelling to Malta
For families planning a getaway to Malta, it is best to plan ahead. The following tips will be useful:
1. Pack for the Climate – The climate in Malta, according to The Commonwealth, is typically Mediterranean—lots of sun during the summers, mostly cool during autumn and spring, and mildly cold during winters. So, consider when the trip will be and pack accordingly.
2. Plan an Itinerary – Planning gives a family the opportunity to choose the best destinations, chow down the finest delicacies, and try out all the must-do activities that a place has to offer. Best of all, the family can stay within a set budget and avoid overspending.
3. Try the Local Cuisine – Malta offers diverse dishes, and the food that is available on this beautiful island, is a definite must-try. The cuisine is diverse and delectable, with treats available for every type of palate. Qaqocc mimli, or stuffed artichokes, is a traditional Maltese dish that is prepared in a variety of ways from household to household. Helwa tat-Tork is a sweet delight made of tahini, almonds, and vanilla, and an absolute gastronomic delight.
4. Immerse Yourself in History – Malta is steeped in culture and rich in tradition, and what better way to enjoy this destination than to experience first-hand its culture and traditions. One way to do this is to take part in village festas, which are long on merrymaking and steeped in tradition. Here is Shortletmalta’s list of the best festas and their dates so tourists can plan accordingly.
5. Get Some Sleep – Adequate sleep should always be part of any getaway because it gives the body and mind enough time to recover and recharge. Unfortunately, falling asleep in a different bed in a different room and in a different time zone can be quite difficult for some people. However, that doesn’t mean you cannot enjoy your holiday; it just means you should avoid certain things to ensure you get enough rest. Leesa lists 25 tips that can help people sleep, which are ideal for people on vacation. Some of the tips include cutting down on caffeine, increasing the amount of fruit and vegetables in your diet, and avoiding electronic gadgets while in bed.
Why Traveling is Important
Stuffed Suitcase encourages people to enjoy a getaway once in a while because travelling is a proven stress-buster. It is also a wonderful way to create memories that last a lifetime.
Travelling can also be an eye-opener and an opportunity to learn not only about the places being visited, but also about each family member.
Equally important, travel is good for children. Travelling activates triggers that release neurochemicals—opioids, oxytocin, and dopamine, most notably—that enhance brain development.
Making Memories in Malta
A family that travels together creates memories that can last forever, and there are very few places on Earth where families can make more beautiful memories than on the island of Malta.